The history of golf can find its most distant origins in Antiquity, where many games of balls and clubs coexisted. However, its origin remains a little hazy.
Nevertheless, the current version as it exists today has its origins in Europe, first in the Netherlands (around the 13th century) before being regulated in Scotland (in 1754). With the improvement of equipment and the industrial revolution, the sport expanded in the 19th century, first in the United States, which became the dominant nation before the Second World War and then after in the rest of the world (across the five continents).
Beyond the course, golf has expanded into many other spheres such as video games, Golf Betting, television broadcasts of competitions, fans traveling all over the world to try out the most beautiful and greatest courses, and much more.
Do you want to try your hand at golf on one of the most prestigious courses in the world? For your next holiday, why not head to the Penina Golf Resort Algarve in Portugal?
Penina Hotel & Resort, Algarve, Portugal
Situated in the western Algarve, just 4 km from Alvor beach, the Penina hotel and resort, which is located on the west side of the Algarve, welcomes you warmly. A top-of-the-range service and an unforgettable setting… here, the change of scene is total!
Nestled in the heart of vast, lush gardens, the hotel offers pleasant, modern and well-equipped rooms with stunning views of the surrounding countryside. The Penina Golf Resort offers quality facilities for each of its guests. A game of tennis, a workout, or simply a relaxing time at the spa… the choice is yours! For golf enthusiastic, there is a little something extra, as the hotel has its own golf course. With three golf courses, this five-star luxury hotel in the Algarve is at the forefront of luxury tourism, Mediterranean charm and refinement.
Ideal for luxury golfing holidays, relaxing family holidays, business trips and world-renowned, its décor is breathtaking and leaves no one indifferent. Then opt for a gastronomic break in one of the 5 restaurants of the Penina Golf Resort hotel or a musical break at the bar.
The Penina Golf Resort’s best courses
Let’s see what are Algarve’s best courses in the Penina Golf Resort.
The Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course
As the 1st 18-hole golf course constructed in the Algarve, the Sir Henry Cotton Championship Golf Course has presented the Portuguese Open ten times… and is considered by many to be the best course in the Algarve.
Sir Henry Cotton, who has won the British Open champion 3-times, who made and laid out the course, has made this course not only demanding but also enjoyable… and also unforgiving and beautiful. The course features water hazards, streams, and perilous slopes, a series of subtle overhangs and upraised greens… This Par 73 golf course is however accessible to all levels and playable all year round. A cart is recommended.
The Resort Course
An excellent 9-hole course for complete and progressive training, for beginners. Or 18 holes for more experienced players thanks to modular tee-offs and greens. With a range of well-designed holes, this course maintains the values established by the founder of this Portuguese golf course, Sir Henry Cotton which is the impeccable course for all levels of golfers and abilities.
The Academy Course
Sneaking not far from the Championship Course fairways, this 9-hole practice course has been specially designed for beginners. It is ideal for a complete and entertaining holiday golf course. With relatively short holes, it is perfect for an introduction to the game of golf or to work on your approach shots.
Vacationing in Algarve
Fly to the farthest reaches of southern Europe, to the beautiful beaches of Portugal. Organize your trip to the Algarve between ocean and mountains, from Cape São Vicente to Castro Marim.
Succumb to the charm of a region where the cliffs sculpted by the wind give way to secluded coves. Here, whitewashed villages follow eucalyptus forests and orange groves. In between two relaxing sessions on the beaches, take advantage of your holiday in the Algarve for :
- Stroll on the port of Faro, the chief town of the Algarve
- Going to the “end of the world”, on the Ponta da Piedade of Cape São Vicente
- Enjoy the Ria Formosa Natural Park
- Treat yourself with a cataplana, a fish and seafood specialty
- Make a selfie in front of the dizzying cliffs of Praia de Marinha, also one of the most beautiful beaches in the world
- Go to the Albandeira Arch (Arco da Albandeira), a very large natural arch on the water
- Explore the beach of Benagil, and especially the viewpoint on the famous “Benagil’s cellar”. This is a small beach located in a cave (a kind of grotto), which can only be reached by sea. On the “ceiling” there is a large hole (a skylight), which makes this place one of the clichés of the Algarve.
- Admire the sunsets at Cape Saint Vincent, in the far west of Portugal at the same time. There is a lighthouse (the São Vicente lighthouse), and you can walk around to enjoy the scenery.
- Take a stroll through the small town of Loulé passing by small streets, squares, churches, etc. and discover its large covered market with many fresh and local products.
- Visit the authentic fishermen’s village of Ferragudo with its cobbled streets, its pretty colors and its small port from which you will have an incredible view of the village.
Soak up the authentic atmosphere of Aljezur and Monchique in the hinterland and venture to the heights of Mount Fóia, the highest point from where you will enjoy a breathtaking view over the valley and the sea.
Explore the picturesque streets of Tavira, cross the Roman bridge and admire the houses with flowered balconies.
Seek out flamingos in the Sapal nature reserve and climb up to the fortified castle of Castro Marim to admire the salt marshes from above.
Bem-Vindo in the Algarve!
- How to plan a golf trip
- Golfing & Fishing in Jacksonville Florida
- Golfing & Longboard Surfing in Oahu North Shore
- Top 3 Footgolf Courses In Las Vegas
- Myrtle Beach In South Carolina : The Golf Capital of the World
- Best Couples Golf Vacations For Seniors
Daisy is the Founder and Editor in Chief of Golfs Hub. She is associated with Golf for more than 20 years. She got the inspiration from her father. She is a very private person & doesn’t like to be photographed. She’s worked in nearly every job in the golf industry from club fitting to instruction to writing and speaking. Now she is enjoying her retirement from day job… but not from Golf! Daisy lives in southeasternmost part of New York state with her family.