As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There is no extra cost to you. Thank you if you use our links; we appreciate it! Learn More.
So, you are stuck in your home for some reason and not being able to hit the golf course. You are missing the smooth breeze, endless green, and also swing your club to the hardest to make a satisfying tension. Short game drills of golf in your home has made you bored.
So what can be done?
Is there any way to practice full swings at home, rather than fake swings?
Yes, there is.
You can get the full swing experience along with the impact of using a golf impact bag. The best part is, you can make your own impact bag in your home. And to help you with that, we will discuss how to make a golf impact bag of your own, here.
What Is A Golf Impact Bag?
First things first, what is this golf impact bag? Well, it is a specially designed golf practice or assistance tool. Many consider it the best practice tool for golf as well. It is basically a hollow, sealed bag having soft materials like cotton, fabric, etc in its’ inside. The bag is very light weighted and not very large in size.
You can carry it anywhere and place it accordingly. Even, it does not require any setup process. Just take it, place it and you are good to go.
How To Make A Golf Impact bag?
As we have mentioned before, you can make your own golf impact bag very easily. First, you have to find a fabric bag, best if you can find a bit bigger in size. Pillow covers will also function as the bag in this case. Now you have to fill the bag up. You can use cotton, foam, or similar elements. But getting that much foam or cotton will be tough and expensive as well. So better go with old clothes.
Yes, you heard it right, gather some worn, old clothes from your storeroom and fill up the bag with that.
While filling up, make sure you don’t make it in a heavier manner. If the impact bag is heavier than it should have been, then its’ recoil action will end up damaging your club. Also while filling the bag, don’t fill the bag more than halfway. When you are done with the filling, seal the bag or give it’s open part a nice tight knot. Then check the density of the inside materials, the density should not be too tight or too loose.
And yes, there you have it… a perfect homemade golf impact bag.
If that plan doesn’t work out well, then you can apply plan B as well, which is way easier. Just take a strong cushion from your bed or sofa set and place it against a very heavy object like a wall or pillar. That cushion can be used as a part-timer Golf impact bag as well.
How Does Golf Impact Bag Work?
The usage of golf impact bags does not require any rocket science or advanced level technical skill. It’s a very simple hit and goes object. All you have to do is place it and hit it.
Yes, as simple as that…
When you hit the bag with your club, the bag absorbs the whole force of the hit. As the bag is filled with soft and flexible materials, it easily absorbs the extreme force of the hits and due to that flexibility of the inside materials, it does not bounce back much after the major impact.
So, basically, after giving a hard hit with the club on the bag, your club will stay in the queue and you will be able to check that whether your hit was on point or not.
How Do You Hit An Impact Bag In Golf?
So, by now you have known a lot about the golf impact bags. Now another major question appears, how to use it or how to hit it? Well, that is also very simple as well.
- First, pick a practicing place.
- Then make your stance of hitting the takeoffs.
- Now place the impact bag in front of you. You can place it in two manners.
- If you are a right-handed swinger, then you can place the bag right in front of your left leg and if you are a left-handed swinger, then do the same just from the opposite side.
- Secondly, you can also put the bag in front of you and placement directed towards the in-between areas of the leg.
- After placing the bag, take a proper stance, now give a full backswing with your body, and then target the middle area of the bag. When you have reached the highest point of the backswing, wait for a second and then hit the targeted area of the bag with full force.
This is how you basically practice your driving and long shots of golf with the help of an impact bag.
Now, if you want to upgrade this basic drill, then you can try one more thing.
- Place the bag in front of you accordingly.
- Now instead of hitting the central area of the bag, try to hit the top right corner.
- Hit it in such a manner that the bag swings inwards after the hit.
This drill will develop your control over the targeting and impact handling skills. The key thing to always remember is, wherever you set the target to hit, you have to imagine that target as your golf ball and hit it that way.
Does Golf Impact Bags Work?
Yes, it does, and that is why it is considered as one of the most popular golf training aids. But let us quench your thirst regarding the functionality of the product. We will break it down to some parts:
1. Impact Management
With the help of this bag, you can face both the driving and returning force of a takeoff. This will help your arms and body to adjust with the real impact of hitting the golf ball without losing physical balance more easily.
2. Setting Up The Target
The target setting is a very important aspect of the game of golf. As the golf ball is quite a small object, sometimes connecting properly with the ball becomes a worrying issue. So, as you more practice with your impact bag, the better you are picking the perfect targets. Because the main objective of hitting an impact bag is to hit a certain area of the bag continuously.
3. Correcting The Posture
We all know that a perfect posture or stance is very important for a perfect take-off. By practicing with impact bags regularly will help you to develop your physical balance along with the posture. It is suggested that if you can practice in front of a full-size mirror or a recording camera. So that as long as you practice, you can spectate your actions, and correct them immediately.
1. How do you use an impact bag?
– Using an impact bag is pretty simple and easy. The easiest way of using it is to grab an impact bag, place it somewhere in your home or backyard and start hitting it with full swings from your driver or any other clubs you like.
2. What does a golf impact bag do?
– An impact bag deals with heavy strikes. The built structure of the bag allows you to strike on it relentlessly without any hesitation. It absorbs the full force of your every strike. So you can practice your heavy shots and strikes very easily with the help of it.
3. What do you fill a golf impact bag with?
– Soft materials, mostly old and worn clothes. You can also use synthetic foams as the filling, but you have to consider giving it some weight then.
4. What is a smash bag?
– Smash bag is just another terminology of golf impact bag. These are basically the same thing and works the same as well.
5. How do you fill a golf impact bag?
– You can easily fill up your impact bag with some fabric material, like old and worn clothes by hand.
The Bottom Line…
So we can see that practicing golf in your home is not a very big hassle. You can practice all types of necessary actions of golf indoors. Short game, long game shots, and so on. Though you can not get the actual long-range experience in your home, yet you can manage very effective long game drills with the help of a golf Impact bag.
We have shown here how to make a golf impact bag in your home. With the help of it, you can practice your full swings, drives and long takeoffs along with monitoring your physical posture. So what’s the delay? Go make your own impact bag and start practicing full swings, drives and power hits.
- Best Golf Practice Nets Reviews
- The Best Golf Swing Trainers
- Turn Your Backyard into a Golf Course Putting Green
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Daisy is the Founder and Editor in Chief of Golfs Hub. She is associated with Golf for more than 20 years. She got the inspiration from her father. She is a very private person & doesn't like to be photographed. She's worked in nearly every job in the golf industry from club fitting to instruction to writing and speaking. Now she is enjoying her retirement from day job... but not from Golf! Daisy lives in southeasternmost part of New York state with her family.